Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A chasing after the wind

I recently attended a teacher conference (you can read my notes here and here.) There was lots of good information shared, and many warm and fuzzy moments. Teaching is a unique, complex, and fundamentally important job. It can also be fun, enjoyable, and rewarding to know that we make a difference on the planet.

As I was driving home it struck me that for two days we spoke all about what WE could and would do to work together to improve education, but we hardly spoke of God. Now, this was a secular conference, so I didn't expect to start or end the day with group prayer, or hear Jesus mentioned very often. (In fact, I was shocked a few times by the baser quality of some of the video and language used to "entertain" some of the speakers points, but we all laughed.) I realized as I was driving that here again we as a group of created people are attempting to design our destinies in education without consulting the original designer.

What did Solomon say in Ecclesiates 1?

I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

What is twisted cannot be straightened;
what is lacking cannot be counted.

I thought to myself, "Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge." Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.


As confident teachers we need to seek God's hand in our teaching and pray for our students, our colleagues, our campuses, our leadership, and ourselves. Without Christ, regardless of our best efforts, we are chasing after the wind.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post, and I think that you are making an excellent point. I have been thinking some similar stuff as I am headed back into public education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just sent this post to all of the staff at the school I work at, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what about the millions of people who don't believe in the Christian God?

    Will teachers consider Allah when pointing their direction? Krishna? Buddha? The Goddess? Or since we live in the United States and Christianity (I presume) is still the majority faith practiced... should we follow the Christian God only?

    I liked this post- because I too believe that I teach in a system that educates only small portions of the child- and that lacks the "heart" religion at times provides. However- I guess my question is- how do Christian values fulfill the needs of every Public School Child, when the population is so diverse? When there is such a broad range of beliefs and faiths to consider? Can their be a unifying faith to reach for (so as to not 'chase wind' as you point out) that embraces and accepts all races, creeds, philosophies etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so easy to "lean on my own understanding" and let my mind be set on what "I" want to do at school today.

    I'm praying for a daily reminder that God is concerned with the details of my day. HE is in control. Only when I dwell in Him will there be fruit.

    ReplyDelete